Holidays have always been a bit of a bugger, at least for me. And to make things worse, I’m spending Thanksgiving alone this year but I’m happy to at least have a couple days off this week because of the holiday! I have some new goals I will be occupying my time with too. Like for one, I hope to start taking local photographs of Hawaii. I think this goal is great because it can motivate me three-fold:
- My goal would encourage me to learn more about beautiful Hawaii.
- It will motivate myself to meet new people.
- I can also refresh my portfolio.
Life in Hawaii as a new single has been peaceful but I do have to admit, it can be lonely. It was tougher in the beginning but I’ve actually had some small periods of joy in passing moments these days.
My List of Little Things That Bring Me Temporary Joy (as a Newly Made Single Person in Hawaii)
- Listening to Bhutanese pop music on Spotify
- Sitting at my Favorite Secret Spot overlooking the ocean
- Junk journaling at home with a movie on
- Going for jogs next to the highway
- Eating pokē at any time of the day
- Talking to friends
- Checking in with my support groups or creative workshops
Next month will be Christmas.
I’ve been thinking about what it’ll be like visiting my adoptive family in Arizona during that time. It’s been years of estrangement and I haven’t even met a handful of my cousin’s children yet too, so it’s definitely good that I meet them this year.
It will be also nice not being alone, and I hope to also blog in that time.
I’ve also been thinking about my plans in Hawaii. If I should try to move back to the mainland to live and work in a more affordable place. Right now work here keeps me going on Oahu but it’s still fickle. Another idea struck me too: I think it’d be awesome to plan a trip to the Philippines with a few Filipino-American adoptee friends who might want to explore our home country together!